The stuff you put in your body has a ton to do with what you get out of it.
If you stay well-hydrated, you are simply going to work better from top to bottom. Sure, you’ll be able to perform better during a workout, but also during the other 23 hours a day.
Our bodies love water. Here are five ways to get more of it every day:
- Drink up, first thing. Try going to sleep with a full glass of water next to the bed. In the morning, drink it down as soon as you wake up. You might be alarmed at how quickly you respond.
- Carry a water bottle. Whatever your daily routine looks like, carrying a water bottle can help you drink more and avoid the temptation of less healthy beverages throughout the day. Get a bottle that looks good and is easy to clean.
- Buy a lemon. Ordering water with a slice of lemon at a restaurant is an easy one, so if that works for you, bring the idea home. Keeping some lemon slices in the house is a great way to keep hydration interesting.
- Develop a ritual. Pick out a drinking glass that means something to you. Make it stylish and cool, the kind of thing that wouldn’t just sit in the cupboard with all the others. Keep it on your desk or someplace prominent and a few times a day, stop everything to fill it up and enjoy a drink. It’s a good mental break that will also increase your water intake for the day.
- Bookend your workouts. It’s easy to be in a hurry just trying to squeeze in the workout for the day, but think ahead and get some water into your system before you get started. Start drinking about an hour before you plan to train. Also be sure to replenish once your workout is over. Cool down with a drink and help your body start to strengthen and rebuild.
Water doesn’t have a marketing department, so it doesn’t enjoy the prestige it deserves. Just be sure to get your share. It won’t let you down.